Shark watermelon or Sharkmelon as I prefer to call it was such a big hit at Little Eco's swim party I can't believe I almost forgot to share it. I saw an image of one floating around the web or Pinterest, or just somewhere, anyways I knew it would go perfect with our shark infested jello and life preserver cake.
What you'll need:
one large oblong watermelon
a large knife
small knife (not serrated
1. First cut off the lower 1/3 of the melon at a 20 degree angle (put aside) with the large knife
2. Then hollow the remaining 2/3 of the melon out leaving some red so it looks like the inside of a mouth
3. Cut up and cube the watermelon you removed (this will be used to fill the shark back up)
4. Now cut a wedge shape piece out to form the mouth
(I used the wedge to later turn it into the back fin)
5. With the smaller knife remove about 1/2 of an inch of the green outer layer from around the mouth
6. In the white area around the mouth cut out triangular shaped pieces to form the teeth
7. Using the small knife cut off the green layer to make the gills and a spot for the eye
8. Take your left over watermelon pieces and make a triangle shaped fin
9. Then make a cut in the back side of the shark large enough to insert the fin piece
10. Use a blueberry or chocolate chip for the eyeball
11. Place on a platter and fill the shark up with the cubed watermelon pieces, then serve!
Oh how we love watermelon on a hot day!
I came across this photo from the summer of 2010 of Eco, Zen and Stream eating the biggest slice of watermelon ever!!!!
Okay maybe it's not Guinness Book worthy, but maybe they could get in for being just so stinkin' cute.